Tuesday 5 November 2013

Cranberry & Raisin Oatmeal Cookies


I'm not one to choose fruit over chocolate chips when it comes to cookies, but decided to try something different the other day, and I'm glad I did! My family and I have been enjoying these over the last few days, and I'll definitely be baking them again.

What you'll need to make around 30 cookies:
125g butter, softened
125g light brown sugar
100g caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1tsp vanilla extract (or 1/2tsp of vanilla paste)
225g self-raising flour
1/2tsp salt
100g raisins
60g cranberries
40g oats

1. Preheat your oven to 180ยบC.
2. Line your baking trays with baking paper.
3. Cream together the butter and sugars.
4. Combine the egg and vanilla.
5. Sift in the flour and salt, and then fold.
6. Add in the oats, raisins, and cranberries. I only used 40g of oats because it was my first time adding them to a cookie mix, but next time I'll probably add more. You can also add more cranberries, but I wanted some left over to eat on their own! 
7. Spoon walnut sized balls onto your baking trays, making sure you leave a good couple inches between each one.
8. I then added a couple of cranberries to the tops just to make sure each one had some.
9. Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes, but make sure you check them every few minutes or so.
10. Finally, take out the oven, leave to harden for a few minutes, and then transfer to a wire cooling rack.


These remind me of rock cakes; a childhood favourite! They taste delicious, and are a healthier alternative to the classic chocolate chip.

1 comment:

Design by | SweetElectric