Thursday 11 February 2016

Brands I Discovered Last Year


I realise 'discovered' sounds a little pompous, but stick with me. Other vocabulary didn't have the same ring to it.

When I was thinking of brands and products to include in this post, I initially skipped over both Nip & Fab and Origins because it feels like I've been using them for so much longer. It was definitely 2015 that saw these enter my life, though, both beginning with a mask.

Nip & Fab | I was first introduced to Nip & Fab through being sent the Glycolic mask to review. It was the first mask to make a substantial difference to my skin, so I then began to look into more of the range. I now have four of the Glycolic products and like them all, but the pads are probably my favourite because of how quick and easy they are to use. I also own a couple products from the Dragon's Blood range, and while they don't make as big a difference to the surface of my skin, I still like them. Like they say on the packaging, they leave my skin feeling plump and softly moisturised.

Origins | I bought the Mask Marvels set early last year simply because it was an incredibly bargain, and each mask in the set was highly rated. The Out of Trouble and Clear Improvement masks were nice, but it's the Drink Up Intensive one which really impressed me. I then bought the Cleansing Oil, which although good, I still prefer The Body Shop's Camomile version because it's incredibly similar, but half the price. 

Just before Christmas, the gift sets were on offer and my discount, for some reason, doubled up, making them a very good price indeed. It would have been slightly cheaper to get them in the half price sale, but when that rolled around, they were no where to be seen from the beginning, so I'm glad I bought them early! I've been liking the GinZing moisturiser from one of these sets. It smells deliciously orange-y, and is refreshingly light. Having combination oily skin means I don't need something heavy duty. Is it any better than cheaper light moisturisers I've come across? I'm not sure. I just know that I like it.

The other set included the KissZing Lip Crayon in Rosemance, which was my main reason for buying it. It has quite a satin finish, which surprised me, and it's not as balmy as I expected, but it wears well and looks beautiful on. I also have a couple of GinZing Brightening Mascara samples, and while I'd never pay £17.50 when I love my £7.99 ones, it's still a good mascara. It doesn't clump or flake, and just makes your lashes look natural. I'd recommend this to someone over the Benefit ones, and they're more expensive.

Zoeva | Zoeva brushes now dominate my collection. The quality of them is so much higher than their price point. My favourite has to be the 322 Brow Line because it's thinner than any other eyebrow brush I've tried, so doesn't pick up too much product, which is great when using pomades. The 102 Silk Finish is also my favourite for foundation. Even after all the battering it's gone through, it still looks great. The 127 Luxe Sheer Cheek is the only one I've been slightly disappointed in, and I think this is because the hairs aren't synthetic. If you'd like to read reviews of every Zoeva brush I own, click here.


Makeup Revolution | I know it's the brand which rips off other brands, but I really like some of the products, and they're cheap as. The Iconic Pro Blush, Bronze, and Brighten Palette in Rave is a little powdery, but apart from that, it's a good all rounder. The bronzer is matte and subtle, the highlighter's of a nice candlelight shade, and the blush has the warmth I tend to gravitate towards. For £4, it's worth giving it a go. The Ultra Brow Arch & Shape is a dupe for Anastasia Beverly Hills and Soap & Glory's offerings, and I'm a fan. The pen end has all but dried up now, but that's because I've had it a while, and it's down to this type of product, but the pencil end is still soft. It really is worth the £3.50. The Ultra Aqua Brow Tint is just £3. I didn't use it a lot in 2015 actually, but I think it's going to be in my next favourites post. A claimed dupe for the Makeup Forever Aqua Brow and NYX Eyebrow Gel, it's pigmented, easy to use, and stays put.

I've only tried the brow products from both Anastasia Beverly Hills and Freedom, so I can't say I 'discovered' the brands, but still wanted to mention them. The Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade in Soft Brown is as good as everyone says, but mine's starting to dry up, and instead of spending another £15, I'd rather buy Freedom's £5 version, also in Soft Brown. It's slightly warmer, so I've also bought Medium Brown since, but in terms of formula, I don't think it's massively different. The Duo Eyebrow Powder in Soft Brown (£4) is also nice. It's not massively pigmented, so you do have to dip your brush a few times, but it's one to use when you want a natural look, or to set your eyebrows after using another product.


I hope I discover just as many great brands in 2016. What do you think of the ones I've talked about?

3 comments:

  1. I've just bought the Zoeva brushes and i'm so glad I got them - they're so much better quality than the ELF ones i've been using for the past few years!

    Caz | This is Caz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple more on my radar at the moment - The fact that they're from the Rose Golden Vol 2 collection is only making me want them more!

      Delete

Design by | SweetElectric