Friday 20 March 2015

Two Brands I've Changed My Mind On


In the last year, I've broadened the products I use. I've started wearing foundation, I attempt to give my face some dimension with contouring and highlighting, and use brands I'd never taken an interest in before. Max Factor and L'Oreal are two these. As well as nothing ever catching my eye, I thought the products were overpriced. I also thought Max Factor was outdated and even a little boring. I unfairly judged them without giving their products a chance. However, working in Boots, and being around the new releases and offers, an interest was sparked. I thought I would talk about a handful of products which have changed my mind on the brands.

Even the lightest shade of the Max Factor Skin Luminizer Foundation, Light Ivory, is a touch too dark for me, but it's nothing too noticeable. It's a nice foundation - medium coverage, doesn't feel heavy on the skin, and has a natural finish. I don't notice much luminising going on, but then it's not completely flat, either.

Everyone has been talking about the Max Factor Creme Puff Blushes. Only one is pictured, but I have two of the shades available - Nude Mauve and Gorgeous Berries. Both are pigmented, blend with ease, and have an illuminating finish. Unlike many baked blushes, the shimmer is extremely fine, so looks natural. Gorgeous Berries is recommended for those with darker skin, but I quite like it on my fair complexion. It's very 'English rose'. An extremely light hand has to be used, though, because it's incredibly pigmented. One 'dab' of my brush is usually enough.

The Max Factor Colour Elixir Lip Gloss in Enchanting Coral is the perfect gloss, in my opinion. The shade is beautiful, it has some pigmentation, but not so much that you have to take care with application, it's not sticky, and it smells good, like vanilla.

The L'Oreal True Match Foundation in N1 Ivory looks incredibly orange next to the Infallible Foundation in Porcelain, but I assure you it's not. The Infallible one is just very pale! Both actually match my skin well, with the Infallible one matching my extremely pale neck more so. It can sometimes be a little too pale for the centre of my face, though, where I naturally have a lot of warmth from my freckles. Again, both have a medium, buildable coverage and natural finish, without being cakey. True Match is runnier than other foundations I've tried, which I was unsure of at first, but it doesn't hinder its coverage at all.

The last product featured is the beautiful L'Oreal Colour Riche Lipstick in Julianne's Red. It's a super bright, pink toned red. It provides even, opaque coverage with a satin finish, and this lasts for hours. It's too much for me to wear to its full intensity, so I usually just dab and blend a little out to create a stain.

I have a few other products from L'Oreal, including their liquid eyeliner, brow pencil, and nail polishes, all of which I've liked.

I'd love to know what your favourite products from these brands are.

5 comments:

  1. I used to hate Max Factor and L'Oreal but a few products have changed my mind.
    I now use the L'Oreal True Match foundation and the new primer, but I still dislike the mascaras, they smudge on me!
    Max Factor is good for blush like you said, and mascaras!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you on Max Factor - I never really see anything from them that catches my eye, and in fact don't think I have one thing from them..! Maybe worth picking something up to change me mind too though :)


    Claire | Stylingo.co.uk | xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried a huge amount from max factor in the past as nothing has stood out to me, however there are a few new releases in both Max Factor and L'oreal which look amazing.

    Ooh La Luce | Beauty, Life, Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never was a Mac Factor fan..they are on the pricier side of drug store make-up and I just always opted for Rimmel and Maybelline. Since getting the 3 in 1 foundation my minds completely changed. The foundation is amazing and i've gone back to look at all their other products now. Can't wait to give the brand a bit more of a go. Holly :) x http://thechroniclesofholly.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kinda had the same opinion as you on MF. I think they've updated and modernised their stuff a lot recently though (which was much needed). I do like L'Oreal though.

    ReplyDelete

Design by | SweetElectric